Property Details

Flat Rock Rd Reidsville, NC 27320

Offered at $684,000
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
  • Property Photo
Listing Agent: Adam Hunnicutt
Status: Active
Principal-Use Category: 100 Plus Acres
Candidate Uses: Estate, Hunting, Residential, Farming
Total Acres (+/-): 120

Tract A - Twin Oaks Plantation

Property Type:
  • Hunting

  • Recreational

  • Residential

  • Agricultural 

  • Investment

  • Timber

  • Conservation

  • $684,000
  • 120 +/- Acres

  • Gentle Rolling Topography

  • Frontage on the Haw River

  • Various Stages of Young Hardwood Growth

  • Premium Legacy Farm passed through multiple generations

  • Located in SouthEast Rockingham County

 Property Features:
  • Over 1600' of Frontage on Flat Rock Rd

  • Approx. 3500' of frontage on the Haw River

  • Multiple internal streams and springs

  • Abundant signs of Wildlife

  • Tillable Acreage / Pasture Land (7.5 Acres +/-)

  • Greensboro-  15 miles 

  • Raleigh-  70  miles

  • Burlington - 20 Miles

  • Winston - 32 Miles

The History Behind "Twin Oaks Plantation"

John Washington Milloway was born 3 October 1853, the son of George W. Milloway and Rhoda Chilcutt Milloway . George and Rhoda were married in Guilford County, NC on 12 January 1853. In 1855 they purchased a 110 acre farm in Rockingham County, NC on the south side of the Haw River. Here the couple settled and lived the remainder of their lives. Rhoda’s father was Elijah Chilcutt a prominent Guilford County farmer and one of the founders of Fair Grove Methodist Protestant Church in extreme southern Rockingham County.
As a child, John W. Milloway attended school at Fair Grove Church. One of these schoolmates was Mary Catherine Warren. She was the daughter of William Warren and Emeline Jones. Her father died when she was a child and her mother married a local widower David L. Hopkins on 4 April 1861. One child was born to this marriage giving Mary Catherine a half sister named Jennie Hopkins.
John W. Milloway married Mary Catherine Warren on 29 August 1876. The young couple settled on a 150 acre farm which the bride had inherited from her father, William Warren. This property was located on Flat Rock Rd. at a crossroads once known as Paynesville. The road running north and south across Flat Rock Rd. was abandoned early in the 20th century thus causing Milloway’s Crossroads, as it had become known, to disappear. William and Henry Warren had purchased the property in 1840 and after William’s death the land was divided in 1856 with Mary Catherine receiving part of the farm. It was not until 1878 after she had married that the land was surveyed and her 150 acres were laid off on the south side of Flat Rock Rd. Her mother, Emaline Hopkins, received 47 acres as her dower part of the estate of William Warren.
It was on this farm that John and Mary Catherine settled and raised a family of 10 children. One of the children, Maude, died in 1878 as a young child and was buried at Fair Grove Church Cemetery. The 9 surviving Milloway children were Charles O., William, John E., Onnie, Tony L., Emma Josie, Annie, Nova P. (Coleman), and Bessie. Of the children, several lived in Greensboro while other lived in Virginia and other states.
The original John Milloway house burned to the ground in March 1913 and the family soon built a nice 2 story frame house which still stands today. It was here that John and Mary Catherine lived out their lives. Mary Catherine died on 3 July 1933 at the age of 78 years. She had been in declining health for 8 years following a stroke. She was buried at Fair Grove Church where she had been a member since youth. John W. Milloway lived to an advanced age and died on 12 May 1940 at age 86. He, too, was buried at Fair Grove Church. His daughter Emma Josie continued to reside at the Milloway homeplace. She died in 1967. In 1944, John E. Milloway, a son of John W. Milloway, purchased the farm from the other heirs. His descendants still own part of the Milloway farm and in the 1980s members of the family restored the 1913 Milloway homeplace.


Request More Information

Disclaimer: All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed. All properties are subject to prior sale, change or withdrawal. Neither listing broker(s) or information provider(s) shall be responsible for any typographical errors, misinformation, misprints and shall be held totally harmless. Listing(s) information is provided for consumers personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing.